Report: Bridlington Town 1-3 Colls

Colls progressed through into the Second Qualifying round of the FA Cup courtesy of a 3-1 victory away at Bridlington Town. Having drawn 1-1 at the Skuna stadium on Saturday, goals from Marcus Cusani, Jack Lenehan and Elliot Rokka secured the win in the East Riding of Yorkshire in a Tuesday night replay. With half of the 216-mile round trip completed, Brad Cooke’s men started slowly at the Hudgell Solicitor stadium and were made to pay for it. After striking the underside of the crossbar in the opening minute, Bridlington won a free kick 25 yards out with Danny Lafferty adjudged to have missed the ball in a challenge by the referee. From the resulting set piece, Marcus Cusani was then adjudged to have handled the ball in the wall and a penalty was given. From the spot, Town’s Lewis Dennison fired home. Jack Lenehan then went close with two shots in quick succession. Having fired over on the half volley from a corner, the midfielder broke through on goal soon after but could only direct his effort wide of the near post. But after Cusani was bundled to the floor in the Bridlington box and nothing was given by the officials, the forward picked himself back up to head home an equaliser as he nodded in Gaz Peet’s cross from the left wing. Crucially, that sent the two sides in level at the break and gave the Black and Whites something to build on as the game restarted. Now in the ascendancy, Cooke’s men started to move the ball around nicely, keeping possession well to tire out their opponents. Having stepped up a gear and applied pressure in and around the Town box, the breakthrough came with around 25 minutes of the tie left through Elliot Rokka. As the ball fell to him in the area, Rokka brought it down well and fired into the back of the net to give Colls the lead. Soon after, it was three and this time, the Black and Whites did get a penalty. Luca DeFreitas-Hansen remained in the box following a corner, and as the ball was floated back in, was ‘yanked’ back preventing him getting on the end of it. Bridlington’s Nathan Hotte the offender and the defender received a second yellow card for his troubles too, exiting proceedings early. From the spot, Jack Lenehan stepped up and calmly slotted home to extend Colls’ advantage, and in truth, put the tie beyond the hosts who battled hard all night long. Cusani and Lenehan both went close to doubling their respective tallies on the evening late on, but as the full-time whistle sounded, it ended 3-1 to the visitors. That Colls first success in an FA Cup replay away from home since 1994 and coincidentally, the scoreline on that occasion was also 3-1 as the Black and Whites defeated Blidworth Welfare. Back to the present day and Cooke’s men have now earned themselves a Second Qualifying round tie in this season’s FA Cup at home to fellow Northern Premier League Premier Division outfit Witton Albion. That fixture is scheduled to take place on September 18, with further details to be confirmed in due course. Collieries: Taberner, Smith, Peet, Lambert, Lafferty (C), DeFreitas-Hansen, Conway, Sephton, Cusani, Lenehan, Rokka Substitutes: Kershaw (74’), Gillam (74’), Doyle (79’) Unused substitutes: Subs: Battersby, Amado Bolton Arena Man of the Match: Jack Lenehan Report – Ben Olawumi Photo – David Featherstone  


Goals from Liam Hughes and Hamza Bencherif saw Worksop Town make sure of their place in the play-offs. Heading into the final round of fixtures,

Read More