Report: Colls 4-1 AFC Liverpool

Following on from Tuesday night’s 3-1 victory in the Lancs Cup the Collieries switched cup competitions on Sat to play AFC Liverpool in the FA Vase. The last time the two clubs met came during our Pre-season programme before the 2013/14 season, losing 2-0 on that Tuesday night game. The game started off well for AFC Liverpool, having an attempt on goal within the first minute. A long ball pumped up from the Liverpool defence released winger Ryan Cox down the wing. Cox rounded Danny Taberner but was at too tighter of an angle to shoot so passed the ball across to Muktar Muhama who fired a shot at goal. However, Jake Kenny blocked the shot and hit the ball clear. Three minutes later and it was the turn of the Collieries to have their first shot of the game. Ben Hardcastle hit the perfect ball into the box for Mark Battersby to control and shoot. However, similarly to AFC Liverpool’s chance earlier his shot was blocked and cleared. On seven minutes, Atherton took the lead. After receiving the ball at a tight angle, Battersby hit a low and hard shot that travelled through the Liverpool defence and into the back of the net. Sixteen minutes into the game and Liverpool found their equaliser. A Liverpool ball was played across the face of the goal for Ryan Cox to tap in. The last chance before the end of the first half came on thirty two minutes. Liverpool’s Francis Barry was through on goal, one on one with goalkeeper Taberner. In the end, Taberner saved well after advancing towards Barry. Half Time – Atherton Collieries 1-1 AFC Liverpool Second half and Colls had the first chance on goal through a Mark Truffas’ free kick. Truffas curled his free kick around the wall and Liverpool goalkeeper Ryan Jones saved well to keep the ball out of the net. Fifteen minutes past the hour mark and the Collieries had another chance to take the lead. Kristian Holt curled his shot towards the bottom right hand corner of the goal. However, Jones did well again to keep the ball out of the goal. It became apparent towards the end of the half that Extra Time was inevitable as the game turned into a midfield battle. Full Time – Atherton Collieries 1-1 AFC Liverpool Battersby found himself on the score sheet once again in the first minute of extra time. Battersby received the ball and somehow flicked the ball up to set up an overhead kick, for himself. The ball flew over the Liverpool defence, hit the underside of the bar and bounced in. Three minutes later, Battersby had his hat-trick and deservedly so. He received the ball in the box, Battersby again flicked the ball up to turn and fire the ball into the back of the Liverpool goal. Half Time of Extra Time – Atherton Collieries 3-1 AFC Liverpool In the second half of Extra Time there was enough time for Atherton and Battersby to get their fourth goal. Substitute Matty Boland played an excellent ball into the box for Battersby who calmly tapped in. Full Time – After Extra Time – Atherton Collieries 4-1 AFC Liverpool Another fine win sent Colls through to the First Round Proper of the FA Vase, the lads played superbly and every single one did the club proud.. Commiserations to our opposition on Saturday, AFC Liverpool best of luck for the rest of the season from everybody at the club. Next game for the Collieries is on FRIDAY 10th October when we play Daisy Hill in a local derby. Why not come down and give Friday night football a try?

Report: Ilkeston 3-0 Colls

Atherton Collieries were bitten by the injury bug as they lost 3-0 against Ilkeston Town on Saturday. Second half goals from Tom Cursons, Callum Minkley

Read More

Preview: Ilkeston (A)

Atherton Collieries travel to Ilkeston Town this weekend in search of a second successive victory, aiming to build on an entertaining 3-2 win at Workington

Read More